From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of JT
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2000 10:32 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MD: Xitel MDport-DG1 or Soundcard?

On 26 Oct 2000, at 2:23, las wrote:

> If I were ready to build a new system (that's the way I'm going to do
> it with my next computer) I'd put a Sound Blaster Live Platinum in it.
>  This card has all of the jacks and ports in the front (it replaced a
> drive bay cover).

I'd just like to point out that if you want to use your computer for
lots of audio stuff (not just mp3->minidisc) then the SBLive is
probably not a good purchase, since it has very high latency.

> You constantly read "Sound Blaster compatible".  So why not get a Real
> Sound Blaster in the first place?

Because that is referring to DOS drivers, even the SBLive is only
"compatible" (i.e. it emulates the DOS SB stuff).

> Stay away from Turtle Beach or who ever makes them now.

Why? The Santa Cruz (their latest card) seems good from the
reviews I've read.

> Roland makes an amazing sound card with a separate "port
> replicator".  It costs about $400!

You can buy a soundcard made by Korg (the Oasys) that costs
$2000+.  :)

> I think it is designed mainly for musicians to use
> (although it will work fine for anyone if you want to spend the
> money).

If you want to spend that much money, I'd recommend the M Audio
(a "sub-brand" of Midiman) Delta 66, it has digital out as well as
several other ports, and you can get it for about $279.  It has no
MIDI port though.

> It's kind of crazy that the companies we trust so much for audio
> equipment don't make the sound cards.  Don't you think there should be
> Onkyo or Pioneer or Rotel or what ever sound cards?  Even an Aiwa
> might be nice.

Those companies aren't really in the computer market, it's a whole
different type of thing, really.  Most companies that make good
audio stuff only make really high-end soundcards anyway (e.g. the
aforementioned Korg card)
--
JT