las wrote:

> Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
>
> > Not like there is anything to convert.  1 Hertz = 1 cycle/second.  They
> > just gave the unit of measurement a name (like Newton, Watt, etc).
>
> But it makes no sense to me to take something that is descriptive and give
it a
> name that tells you nothing.  CPS means cycles per second.  That makes
sense and
> tells you exactly with it is.

Not in German, French, Dutch, Swedish, Spanish, Swahili or Afrikaans.

> Hertz or HZ means nothing and even if you only use
> the HZ, all you are saving is one letter.

It's Hz, and everyone who knows remotely what they're talking about will
know what you mean. A Hz is a second to the power of -1.

> Now what about computer speed.  It is also given in HZ.  Since cycles per
second
> is referring to sound and waves, what's it doing in computers.
Cycles per second is referring to how many cycles something goes through per
second. You yourself just said how descriptive it was... Hz in a computer
tells you how many full cycles the clock signal of the CPU completes every
second. In your car, you could use it to state the number of rotations the
crankshaft makes every second (6000RPM = 100Hz). In the power grid, it tells
yuou how many times per second the electricity changes phase (US: 60Hz,
Europe: 50Hz), etc.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--