Hi Larry,

> >  CPS means cycles per second.  That makes sense and tells you
> exactly with it is.
> >
> > Not in German, French, Dutch, Swedish, Spanish, Swahili or Afrikaans.
>
> That might not be exactly correct.  You'd have to find an old audiophile
> who was from one of those countries and see what term was used when we
> used cps.  Then you have to ask him what it meant to him.  There are
> many words in all languages that become known and accepted in other
> languages.
I think the main problem is clearness. Hz means Hertz or 1/s and nothing
else. CPS may mean cycles per second, but it may also stand for characters
per second, and there are probably more meanings.

> I'll bet that there are many, many people who know that a
> stereo with 20 to 20,000Hz is supposed to be very good (these same
> people have never heard of the word "flat") but haven't a clue what the
> Hz stands for.
Yes, but if it was CPS, would the same people know what exactly it is that's
cycling 20.000 times per second? It's the same with cars which are often
only judged based on their hp, although there are many other factors that
affect their performance. And while hp does mean horse power, that doesn't
tell you that much, either.

> Just for the hell of it a checked a very old amp that I have.  It states
> "60~"  So at one time "~" meant cycle.
It's more likely that they just omitted Hz (or CPS or whatever) and the ~
means AC.

Bye
Martin