Martin Lazak wrote:

 It's the same with cars which are often
> only judged based on their hp, although there are many other factors that
> affect their performance. And while hp does mean horse power, that doesn't
> tell you that much, either.

Hi Martin,  Of course horse power really doesn't tell you much because
it is relative to, among other things, the weight of the car and other
accessories that use some of the engines power (like the AC).

A hundred horse power engine in a car weighing only 1000 pounds might
out perform a 350 horse power engine in a 3500 pound car.

But at least horse power kind of gives you a little bit of an idea.
What really doesn't make sense is engine size.  When people go bragging
about having a 442 (cubic inch) engine that means nothing.

When it comes to the size of a car's engine, size doesn't always make a
difference :) <that was Nasty Larry speaking>.  Fuel injection engines
tend to give you more HP for cubic inch.

The number of valves can make a difference.  I have an old 1990 Pontiac
Grand AM that has a quad four engine (16 valves in four cylinders) that
will out perform many 6 cylinder cars.

Hey every one have a great weekend,
Nasty Larry