Matt Wall wrote:

> howdy all, recently on minidisc.org there was a letter to sony with =
> concerns about sony's md car decks.  currently i am looking into putting =
> an 800r into one of my cars and was curious if others had the same =
> problems as stated in the letters or if they had good luck with thier =
> units.  any input would be great.  thanks.

Yes, I have had the same problems.
I have owned:
MDX-U1
MDX-C150 (two of them)
MDX-400
MDX-C7900 (still own)
MDX-65 (still own)

All but the C7900 and MDX-65 has had problems reading recordable MD's,
but no trouble with prerecorded ones.  The problem is the optical block
wears out.  I managed to tweak the adjustments in the U1 and the C150's
to read recordable discs and then sold them while they worked.  The
MDX-400 was beyond tweaking, it needed a new optical block.  After a
month, it stopped reading recordable discs and I sent it in for
adjustment under repair warranty.  Then I quickly sold it since it had
been a very unreliable unit having problems other than that (constant
"PLEASE PRESS RESET" message).  The C7900 hasn't had any problems
reading any MD's, but it has developed a problem in where sometimes an
MD won't be accepted and gets stuck.  Then I have to use something to
push it all the way in.  The MDX-65 so far has been trouble-free.

These problems are NOT specific to car units though, I have had an
MZ-E3, MZ-R2, and two MDS-501's that had these very same problems.

Shawn