Hey.  Just to add to this thread without getting into the Sharp VS Sony
debate...

I actually thought about using my MD recorder (Sharp 722) for film work use
also, and thought of something.

Lots of people use TIME CODE-abled DATs to do this kind of work, and I was
wondering if the MD would be up for the job too... Like using one track for
Time Code and the other for sound recording... Obviously I thought about
the sound compression and wanted to know if it would affect the intergrity
of the time code signal...

So I brought my MD at work (I work in a TV station) and recorded some SMPTE
time code for 3 minutes off a BetacamSP machine playing back a tape.  I
then plugged the machines the other way around and fed the output of the MD
into the Betacam's Time Code inputs....  And it worked!!!!  The time code
reading on the VTR followed the playback of the MD...  I did a couple tests
regarding volume levels (they have to be quite high) and
play-pause-play-recue-play tests and the time code followed perfectly on
the Betacam....

So YES  Minidics would be great for film work, and can even be time
code-synced with other machines if needed.  You obviously loose the
possibility to record stereo signals, but for lower-budget or speech-only
recording situations it could work. (yes I do realize that if you're on a
low budget you won't be using stuff like Time-Code synchronization & such
but still, the possibility is there...)

Louis Allard