>Consumer MD recorders have no provision for locking the record or play
>sample rate to an external source (video or film).  So they only way things
>can work is to record timecode on one track of the MD from a timing source
>to which the camera is locked.  The on playback, the MD would have to be
>the timing master, with the picture playback locked to the time code
>recovered from the MD.
>
>This is not really a good solution, that is, having the MD be the timecode
>master during playback.  It would work in a pinch, but it would be much
>better if the video frame rate of the camera and the sample rate of the
>sound recorder had been locked in the first place.

You're right, MD units and not meant to be "slaves", but there are easy
turnaround solutions around this, such as transferring the time-code &
audio track to a slaveable multi-track machine and then using the time code
track on that machine to follow the video.  There is probably a way to
import Time Code into DAWs as well I am sure.

If only for video work, you can also simply dumb the MD's Time Code & audio
to a video tape's TC & audio tracks and then simply sync them up with an
editor...

Louis Allard