Marty,
    Yeah, the only way I burn my mp3's to mini is through winamp.  Though I
don't have a portable I ran into the same problem you did.  I just made
little GAP wav's that were like 1.2 seconds long(i'm sure it can vary
slightly) so that tracks are seperated.  With the mixes that flow together i
would think you would HAVE to seperate them manually.  I ran into the same
problem when trying to make mini's for party's, but I purchased a unit that
mixes that tracks manually in "party mode".