No, you cannot input the sound into the USB port.  The adapter uses a
digital to analog converter (DAC) for going from the usb -> audio cable, but
I'm guessing it doesnt have an Analog to Digital converter (ADC) for going
from the audio cable-> usb.  I believe it was only set up for use going from
USB to miniplug cable, both the actual device and the software.
Paul Kerl