Will asked, tersely,

| does LP sound good? thats what i want to know.

I have to agree with Ed Heckman here; to my ears, LP2 is good enough for en-
joying most music, and LP4 is plenty good enough for speech.  Also, sometimes
I'll record music from the radio while I'm busy or asleep and not available
to listen to it, and I'm not interested in the listening experience of it so
much as tracking the playlist; for that LP4 is more than adequate.

If you can find an LP demo unit in a store or if you have a friend who
already owns one, listen to an LP track and reach your own conclusion.

A lot depends on your listening purpose and listening environment.  If you'll
be listening in a noisy place, or if you want background accompaniment for
what you are doing rather than the experience of getting lost in the music,
the quality may not be so critical for you.

I'll also agree with Steve Corey, strangely enough.  Even SP mode on MDs is
lossy, so it's not a question of yes or no but one of how far.  So as you can
see, it's a subjective call.

For a data point, my subjective call is as follows, and the rest of this post
is strictly my own opinion, not intended as a recommendation to anyone and
certainly not as a representation of immutable fact.  If I'm time-shifting a
radio program, then

 if I want to enjoy the music and then delete the recording, I'd use LP2;
 if I want just to identify the songs and delete it, I'd use LP4;
 if I might want to keep the recording or sections of it to play and enjoy
  again, and especially if I'm thinking of ripping it to hard disk or dubbing
  it to CD, I'd use SP.

For a live performance, I'd go for SP: that's consistent with my position on
radio broadcasts, because the only reason to record a performance that one is
attending is to listen to it again.  By the same token, if I'm not there but
someone there is recording it for me to hear once, LP2 would do.