On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 12:14:52AM -0500, Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> * las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Sat, 06 Jan 2001
> | Actually, if you are saying what i think you are, having a separate left
> | and right subwoofer, in spite of the commonly held theory, sounds
> | different (if the channel separation is high and the speakers are placed
> | far enough away) than a single subwoofer.
>
> Do you know why it is a commonly held fact -- not theory?  Because human
> perception cannot locate the source of low frequency sounds such as those
> from subwoofers.  Stereo separation is pointless because you cannot hear
> the separate channels as separate channels.

Though I am not disputing the fact that humans can't pinpoint where low
frequencies originate from, I believe that using two subwoofers with a
stereo signal is preferable (if your amp and wallet can support it).  I
could definitely tell the difference when I switched from a single mono
subwoofer to two subwoofer's driven in stereo on my main system.  The
feeling I got was one of overall better bass balance in the room.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox              There's a long-standing bug relating to the x86
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             architecture that allows you to install Windows.