| Anthony Lalande <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| >I think it's all subjective. Cassettes are low-end, because of their
| >low signal-to-noise ratios (I think; I'm not an expert in this sort
| >of thing), but they were high end once. So were vinyl records and
| >Victorolas.
Dan Frakes wrote,

| Um... is there such a thing as "lossless" compression? I don't think
| so... I think "lossy compression" is redundant ;)

Yes, there is such a thing, so no, the term isn't redundant.  In addition
to Dave Kimmel's example of .zip files, there is an audio format called
"Shorten" that compresses .wav files by about 2:1 with no loss of data,
described and promoted at <http://www.etree.org>.

There is another that I heard of, but I can't remember its name, and I
never did know where to find out about it.

5:1 lossless compression doesn't exist, at least not yet.