Hiya,
When I decided MD over MP3, just about a year ago, it was OBVIOUS even to
me, one who LIVED on his MP3 Playlist, that MD was better. This magnificent
little disc holds 74 minutes of audio, in a very clear and dynamic
compression algorithm. MP3 players turned me off because usually players
held no more than 64MB (~32min at my bit rate), and the media is about
$1/MB, too expensive! I bought my Sharp MD-MT15 with 8 blanks on an eBay
auction for about $195. I payed too much, but hey! Even this ugly player (my
opinion) grabs eyes. Chick magnet galore. By about May at school, kids were
getting these dopey MP3 players. Nothing beat my nice little MD-MT15 though,
with its little "HELLO!" when ya started it! And a real fun thing to do with
an MD player is attach a little mic and record stuff. Just recording random
things durning a school day would get kicks galore for me and my friends.
Can ya do that with an MP3 player, other than one of those bulky
hard-drive-in-a-box players? I think not. Sure, MD has its non-believers
(see the MD community post, in the news section is something about a self
proclaimed "audiophile" who hates MD but likes MP3.), but it seems a lot of
those people sit in front of their two $30,000 monaural amps driving $20,000
speakers. And they also think turntable sounds better than ANY digital
audio. I'll give them CD, but I'd have to say that 48kHz/32bit sounds better
than anything a turntable can cough up. MP3 is a techincally dead, however
consumer-loved medium. MiniDisc just sadly doesn't have the "oomph" in the
consumer market it needs. Looking from a purely technical standpoint, ATRAC
beats MP3. ATRAC is fully reverse and forward compatible, and is constantly
updated with new revisions. MP3 has been the same since the MPEG1 Audio
standard was made back in the late '80s. MP3 uses Flash Media, which does
beat MD in one aspect - durability. However, a $1.50 MD is a lot nicer when
it breaks than a $64 SmartMedia. With an MP3 player, you can usually copy
your music faster than realtime. Beats MD again. There are ways around
this - CD-RW and a faster-than-1x CD-to-MD copier. But, to record to MP3,
you need a computer - at least a 686 generation processor around 300MHz.
With MD, you need a line out, thats IT. And my (soon to be here) Sharp
MD-MS722 looks AWESOME! I mean, the industrial design that goes in to these
players is VERY impressive. Especially for Sharp. MD all the way!
--
Robert J. Lynn, Jr.
Brainbench Certified Computer Technician, Linux Administrator, and Master