Hi, guys ... I'm a merchandiser at Best Buy and have been on the list since
1996.  I usually don't post unless I have something substantive to say, and
unfortunately, I do have something worth posting about today.  I say
'unfortunately' because it appears that many listmembers' fears about Best
Buy dumping minidisc may indeed be true, if only partially.  This past week,
both of our MD component deck models (the MDS-JE440 and the MX-D3) have gone
closeout, and a search of our sku list has not come up with any models that
may replace them.  I did, however, find two new portable models that will be
introduced in May:  the MZR500PC (SKU# 4118369) and MZR700DPC (SKU#
4118387), both of which are described as "MD Walkman Player/Recorder PC
Bundles", at least one of which the Community Page reveals will include a
USB-optical cable.  (The 500PC will retail for US$179.99; the 700DPC, for
US$249.99.)  With the addition of a new Sony CD-R/RW component deck to our
digital recorders mix, as well as the elimination of our two current MD
component models, it does appear that Best Buy will be phasing out MD
component decks.  Best Buy will continue to sell MD portables for some time
to come, but stupidly, they have chosen to keep these models in the portable
audio department, depriving MD of wider exposure in the computer department.

Best Buy could save this format if it wants to -- I can only hope that it
takes decisive action to move the MD portables to PC/Home Office ASAP.  Only
with its repositioning as a competitor to solid state MP3 technology, can MD
have any chance of surviving in this post-modern world of consumer
electronics.

Daryl