When Bob Norton wrote,

N> Yes. The size of a WAV file depends only on the length of the recording,
N> the bit resolution used and the sampling frequency.

[and whether it's mono or stereo]

Don Capps responded,

C> Bob...you completely missed my point here. I was referring to .wav files
C> created by decoding an MP3 file. Not to the original .wav file as ripped or
C> recorded from a CD.

Seems that Bob did get your point, Don.  A .wav file made by decompressing
a lossily compressed song will be the same size as a .wav file of the ori-
ginal uncompressed data.  You're both saying the same thing and agreeing.
"Bit resolution" isn't the same as the bit rate of storage in previous
generations.

Don posted further,

| The original data which the compression codec threw away is lost forever.
| What I was questioning was what (if any) effect this digital guesswork
| would have on the sonic fidelity.

That's a subjective question that nobody can answer for anyone else and which
one can answer for oneself only by listening.  To me, if all three are at the
same bit rate, ATRAC3 sounds more faithful than WMA, which in turn sounds
more faithful than MP3.  You might reach a differing opinion, and so might I
if I redo the comparison with other music.