sounds like you're recording from md to computer with an analog connection,
and the hiss is coming in there. if you used a home md deck with digital
output, & went into the computer on a digital input (which probably means
you'd need a new soundcard) i suspect this wouldn't happen.

a simpler (cheaper) solution would be to do the edits AFTER you transfer to
computer, in (e.g.) goldwave (if you have a pc). your edited WAV files will
then fade to dead silence.

peter