Brent asked further,

| I'm just wondering, is it possible to change this byte to make a CD usable
| in a deck,

No, the byte is read-only and is pressed in permanently in the manufacturing
process.  The only thing you can do is the "swap trick" and that only if your
recorder is suspectible to it.  You insert an audio blank, let the machine
read in its characteristics, and then -- the procedure at this step varies
from model to model -- switch it for a data blank in a way that keeps the
recorder from rechecking the type byte, so that it will treat the second disc
as it would have treated the first disc.

| ... as I was thinking of getting one, but with the thought I can't
| copy for editing, I might not unless I could digitally get it on something
| editable.

You can't edit CDRs at all; the only editing on CDRWs is to erase all tracks,
to erase the last track, to erase from a given track to the end, or to wipe
the disc completely clean.  To do any editing beyond that, you need to work
with computer files or MD tracks.

| Does it work to hook digital out to the sblive card? Or will this
| not accept scms final recordings?

If you mean connecting the digital output of a CD recorder to a soundcard,
the card will accept it.  It won't care about SCMS status, and you can record
any track to a file with no interference from SCMS.  If you have a CD burner
or a CD-ROM drive capable of digital audio extraction, though, it's faster
and less error-prone to put the CD in there and rip tracks through its hard-
ware connection to the CPU rather than recording an S/PDIF feed (and again,
it will ignore SCMS, being computer hardware rather than an audio recorder).

| I suppose it has to work because you can use digital speakers, which
| obviously you'd hear nothing if they supported it.

The SCMS status doesn't affect the behavior of the source device, which just
sends out the signal without comment on the SCMS bits.  It's the target de-
vice that uses the SCMS bits it receives to decide how to act.  Since speak-
ers are not recorders, they are permitted to render digital audio into audi-
ble sound regardless of SCMS.  By the same token, a home CDR or MD deck that
won't copy an SCMS-final track can *play* an SCMS-final track just fine, and
if the digital output goes to a pro recorder (or through a stripper to ano-
ther consumer recorder), you'll get a copy.  The source device won't refuse
to play the track.