(I didn't see my reply show up, so sorry if this sounds a bit familiar.
And I've updated it a bit...)

It depends on what kind of streaming video you're talking about.  If
you're talking about the creation of streaming content, then Windows
Media Encoder is the way to go.  If you're talking about saving content
that you have streamed off of the internet, that's something different.
There are some sites out there that don't let you save the video.  (many
music video sites, for example. ) The only way I found to save those
videos is to use HyperCam to capture the stream as it comes in.
-steve