"J. Coon" wrote:
> PARAMOUNT TO EVERYTHING.... ALWAYS PRESS "END SEARCH" BEFORE YOU RECORD
> ANYTHING.
>  I don't know why Sony
> was so FOOLISH as to set up their portable recorders that way.  Someone
> at Sony should be taken out and shot... or at least  severely
> chastised.

There is something I've been meaning to try, and if someone already has
then let me know if it works.

If you record one track on a MD all the way through, then you have a TOC
that spans the whole disc.  Record a few discs like that.

Now go to a show and start recording with one of those discs.  At about
60 min into the show, you realize the band is in one of those extended
jams that's going to last for at least another half hour.  You wait
until the last possible moment (74:59) pop out the disc, and shove
another one in and continue recording.  Since the disc already had a
TOC, and it didn't get a chance to update anything, the disc should be
OK.  And you've lost the minimal amount of the show by not having to
wait for the TOC to be written.

Again, this is all theory and one of these days I'll try it.  But if it
works, I think that it makes End Search a Good Thing.  But it should
still be a feature that could be turned off.

-steve