>Edward wrote...
>out of the following (reasonable, but cheap [i think])  headphones
>which would you recommend:-
>    -   Sony MDR-EX70LP
>    -   Sony MDR-ED268LP
>    -   Sennheiser MX-500

I got a pair of Koss SportaPros A couple weeks ago @ Circuit City for $19.95.
They aren't perfect, but they are *way* better sounding than anything else at that
price.   They have a folding design and can be stuffed in a coat pocket.  The
SportaPros can be worn with the headband on top or behind the head.  Soundwise,
the bass is a touch heavy, there is a slight peak around 5KHz followed by a gentle
roll-off.  But in general, the response is *much* smoohter than other folding
headphones.  The foam cussions do not block out ambient noise, but in many
situations this is good because it prevents you from becoming completely disconnected
from what's giong on around.  These phones do not play well at really high volume, so
I would not recomend using them with an external amp, but they are a great match
for my MZ-R70 and play plenty loud unless there's a *lot* of ambient noise.

In short, I highly recomend the SportaPros for portable MD.  As I said, *way* better
than anything else is the $20 range...