Get into recording mode and then pause it (blinking display). Change the
mode button to stereo/mono which ever is showing then use the enter button
to switch between stereo/mono. Make you choice then release the pause and
your in mono.

I really love my FM70 for recording live but I can't rely on it. If you go
to the Minidisc Switzerland (http://minidisc.ch/problems.asp
<http://minidisc.ch/problems.asp> ) site I see that every minidisc player is
basically a piece of shi*. When are they going to build some reliability
into them? I'll take reliability over more features.

        Hi.  I have an Aiwa FM70.  The backlit controls are neat, but I
don't find it an intuitive unit. I like things where you don't have to keep
reading the instruction manual to find out what they can do.  Every once and
a while I can actually make the unit go into the mono mode, just by pure
luck.
        Larry