If Sony improved the disc access time for MD Data so that it is
>comparable to a hard disk, they could end up with a product that overtakes
>Iomega's low-end removeable data storage solutions easily.

Yeah but do you know what you are asking here? MD is opti-magnetic which
means there are two heads instead of one banging around in there and one of
them is too fragile to be zipping back and forth as fast as a hard drive
head does (too fast to even see) This is why you don't see CD ROMS as fast
as HDs.

Hard disks a build with non-removable platters to very high tolerences and
tightly sealed in alluminun chasis. They are also power hogs, and they are
magnetic read/write. That is why they are so fast.

To modify MD to the point where it was as fast as even the slowest HD on the
market today would requite that MD be modified to the point where it isn't
even recognizable as MD anymore, and it sure wouldn't be cheap.

Chad Gombosi
Member SCP www.scponline.net
Chad's Game Music Page www.chadsgamemusic.com
MP3.com page: www.mp3.com/signofzeta

"Let me explain a couple of things. Time is short. That's the
first thing. For the weasel, Time is a weasel. For the hero,
Time is heroic. For the whore, Time is just another trick.
If you're gentle, your Time is gentle. If you're in a hurry,
Time flies. Time is a servant, if you are its master. Time
is your god, if you are its dog. We are the creators of Time,
the victims of Time, and the killers of Time. Time is timeless.
That's the second thing. You are the clock, Cassiel."

Emit - Far Away So Close