I've got a Sharp MD-X5 and an MS-722 player/recorder.  I do not notice this
problem at all going in either direction.  I guess the question I have to
ask here is what type of recording were you making on the
X5?  Digital?  Analog?  What was your source?  If it was external to the
X5, did you check the cable itself?  I suppose the problem may be the ATRAC
on the 702, but as you said, this makes no sense.  I know for a fact that
the X5 is older than the 722, I'm not sure about the 702.  Sorry if this
didn't really help, but I've never had this problem with my X5 or
722.  This includes recording from CD-MD, radio, external analog, and
external digital signal.

And good luck dealing with Sharp if that's what it comes down to :-(