Briefly, I would like to sumarize what I think are the roadblocks to MD acceptance:

With the general public (at least in the US):
1) pre-recorded MDs are not generally available
2) MD is not well advetised and equiopment is not
generally available in stores

With computer integration (in order of severity):
1) MD creation from audio files is not automatic.  This has finally been fixed
by MDSPC2.EXE (not from Sony) and maybe by Mcrew (MDS-PC3 only).  But
if you have any other recorder than these 2, you still must do it manually.
2) There is no flow control (handshake) for the digital audio data.  Windows
does not cope well with this, causing clicks, pops and dropouts from time to time.
3) MD creation from the computer is at 1X, not high-speed.  At least 4-5X should,
in theory, be possible with current transport mechanisms.

(2) and (3) could be solved simultaneously by an MD recorder the *native* USB
support, not an add-on USB converter.