>  I'm finally thinking about replacing my 7 year old Acorn RISC PC*
> with a shiny new laptop, and am looking at the Dell Inpsiron 8000.
> Anyway, I've heard that it's possible to get an SP/DIF output from it
> - possibly by sticking some sort of adaptor on the SVideo port
> (or something). Is this true, and can I adapt it to a regular optical
> out connection which I can plug into my Sharp 831?

Yes - you get a device that plugs into a port on the side and gives you S-Video,
Composite and S/PDIF audio. If you use a converter such as the Midiman CO2, you can
convert it to optical that will be suitable for your 831.

The plug-in thing with the S/PDIF is standard on all Inspiron 8000s as far as I know.

hth,

--
Simon