> I can't even listen to cassettes, they sound so bad to me.  When
> I go back and
> put on a vinyl record, I realize just how bad they actually
> sounded.  If CDs
> have a "hard edge" blame the recording producer, not the medium.
>
> What sounds good is all relative.  How many times have I been
> stuck at a light
> and a car pulls up next to me where the bass is so strong and the
> volume should
> that it actually causes my car to shake!
>
> But to those dudes in that car it is heaven.

Some people claim that a good and new vinyl pressing carries base better.
Let us not forget that digital is in essence trying to achieve a wave that
it never can.  I don't know if the issue is MD trying to match CD, or CD
trying to replicate analog sound.  Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of CDs
and they're so much better than tape.  But have you listened to some of your
older CDs?  They sound pretty bad now because mastering and D/A converter
technology were very young then.

Good needles, and a good pressing can go a long way--specially on a powerful
sound system.  But then again almost all recording media are digital anyway
so maybe it doesn't matter.