This email was delivered to you by The Free Internet,
a Business Online Group company. http://www.thefreeinternet.net

> > Here's a happy thing: this afternoon when I showed up
> > at the radio station where I work part-time (WWFM -
> > classical radio network), the chief engineer pointed
> > out to me the newest piece of equipment - a Sony
> > MDS-E12 MINIDISC deck. There's one in the on-air
> > studio and there will soon be one in the production
> > studio.
> >

> Two of my daughters have "worked" on college radio stations.  Don't
> laugh.  Since college stations don't have the financial pressures of
> commercial stations, they are often very good.  You can often hear home
> grown music and music that a commercial station would never play because
> of fear that they would not attract a large enough audience.
>
> Traditionally commercials and public announcements are recorded on
> "carts" (cartridges)?  Is that what they are called?  Mini Discs offer
> the advantages of carts in that if you only record a specific audio clip
> on a mini disc that's what it will play each time it is inserted.
>
> It has the advantage of not having to be a continuous loop, like tape
> and is digital.  Mini Discs should have taken off big time at radio
> stations.  They, in my humble opinion, would have be an advantage over
> CDs.
>
> Since FM radio is cut off at 15,000Hz anyway, I doubt that anyone would
> notice if the stations was using CDs or an MD copy.  With their compact
> size and protective jackets, mini discs are far superior to CDs.
>
> The more I think about it, the more amazed I am that MDs did not replace
> CDs as the source of consumer music collections.  With the exception of
> compression, it seems to me that the mini disc has it over the CD in
> EVERY other area.

It doesn't have it over CD in every other area at all, in Europe it is still
just a cool toy for most people, where CD's are the norm, the only place I
know of it being bigger than CD is in Japan. And do you wanna know the
reason MD's didn't take over CD's much? CD's had a 10 year head start....

> Lets not forget that you have been able to record on MDs from the day
> they were introduced.  "Burning" CDs is relatively recent compared to
> the MD.

And people dont want to wait for music to be recorded, thats why
pre-recorded music does so well, and probably one of MD's downfalls, little
pre-recorded support