* Steve Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Wed, 06 Jun 2001
| I see no reason why you cannot compare the bandwidth and/or space
| requirements of digital and analogue recordings. Given that all recordings
| are ultimately stored as an analogue form,

You are assuming that digital signals are modulated into analog signals for
recording, like on your old C64 (which ammounts to recording the noises a
telephone modem makes and playing them back later).  There is no such
modulation involved with digital audio storage.

| someone must have compared the possibilities for using that form to store
| the recording in an analogue manner against adding the complexity of a
| digital system.

You mean like CD-Video? (not VCD).

| Of course, the advantage of digital audio is that it is more easily
| possible to remove the noise introduced by the medium - albeit at the
| expense of adding redundancy and the introduction of quantisation noise -
[snip]

The advantage of digital audio is that as far as consumers are concerned it
does not wear out.

| - but I am given to understand that, to achieve recording of the same
| perceived quality, PCM - whether linear or non-linear
| - will require a greater bandwidth than to record directly in analogue.

And yet, the fact remains that when analog recordings are made on "digital"
media like Compact Discs, the effective capacity of the media is
significantly reduced compared to its equivalent digital counterparts.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.