I just got a set of Etymotic ER-4S earphones, and I am astounded at the
sound.  They are incredible.  Some people have said that the 4S's lack
bass and require a headphone amp, but I'm using them with my Sony MZR-90
and they are loud enough for me with excellent bass, and that's not even
with the bass boost turned on.

They come with either flanged or foam tips, and you need to get a tight
seal in your ear canal to get decent sound.  I could only get that seal
with the foam tips, which also are much more comfortable in my ears; the
flanged tips kinda hurt, but I hardly notice the foam tips.  The other
great effect of the seal is that it blocks out a lot of exterior noise,
so high volume is not required.  I love them for my train ride to work,
I can just loose myself in the music.

They aren't cheap, they'll set you back about $300.00 (USD) but I think
they're well worth it.  They also come in a nice case with various
accessories.

Here's a link for info: http://www.etymotic.com/hifi/index.asp

-steve