Stainless Steel Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> No, you have an MZ-R700 with "G-Protection".  G-Protection is a new
> implementation of anti-skip buffering that is apparantly much beter than
> the previous G-Shock scheme.

No it's not. According to Sony's documentation (reprinted at
Video-Direct.com, see:
http://www.video-direct.com/sony/portmd/portmd.html#f1) they've
improved the readout mechanics (faster focal point adjustment, track
recovery, and disc rotation). It has nothing to do with the buffering.

> | Anyway, while playing, the unit stops spinning the disc, presumably to save
> | power, and spins up again. My question is, when it stops spinning the disc,
> | is it reading off the buffer memory? If so, wouldn't that drop the 40 second
> | rate?
>
> No, that is the 40 second buffer.  The mechanism reads 40 seconds worth of
> data and plays from that.

Yes, playback does deplete the number of seconds of data stored in the
anti-shock buffer memory. Forty seconds is the maximum it can hold, as
audio is played from it it contains less and less and eventually hits
a "low water" mark causing the disc to be read. The low water mark can
be adjusted on some Sharp units. Power Save mode sets it rather low
(causing less frequent disc reading), non-Power Save mode sets it
higher (keeping the buffer relatively full, but using more energy to
do so).

Rick