Dan Frakes wrote:

> You're correct that headphones can't produce the physical effect that
> full-range speakers can.  But if you can do without that effect, for the
> money, headphones offer far better "bang for the buck." For $550, you can't
> really get a good amp and speakers to hook up to your CD player that will
> provide you with high-end sound. But you can buy a Sennheiser HD600 and a
> Musical Fidelity X-CANSv2 headphone amp that will give you simply amazing
> sound.

Dan, I guess it depends upon what you consider  "high-end sound".  Personally I
don't consider sound that does not produce the "physical effect" to be high
end.  I guess it's a matter of personal taste.  I really don't enjoy the feeling
of the sound being in my head.

That's the way headphones seem to me, like the music is in my head instead of
all around me.  Even these systems that use small speakers and one "subwoofer"
don't impress me.  Bose is big on this type of arrangement.  They have these
relatively expensive systems that use these tiny little drivers for the highs
and pretty small boxes for the mid and I don't know what.

If the so called subwoofers are true subwoofers their little boxes have to carry
not only the mid range but a lot of the bass also.  They are just not good
enough to do that.  And if the subwoofer is really more of a woofer, a) it's a
pretty poor excuse for one and b) there should be two of them.

I think that for $550 (USD) I could find an amp or receiver and two speakers
that to me personally, I would consider higher quality sound than the
headphones.  The price of receivers has dropped so much that I think I could
find a pair of speakers for $300 and a receiver for $250 that would, for me,
give me what I consider higher quality sound than a pair of headphones.

Receivers that would have cost $500 a few years ago are turning up at places
like Sam's Club (only the newer receivers not only include Dolby Digital, but
DTS) for about $250.00.  Is my $900 Onkyo DTS receiver really going to offer me
higher quality sound than the $250 unit?  Or is it just that it has a lot more
surround options and inputs.

OK, the THX certification is suppose to "insure" me of certain standards.  But
would I really be able to tell the difference between it and the cheaper
receiver if I was only using it in the stereo mode with the same speakers on
both systems?  Now if you let me go just a little higher so that I have a little
more to spend on speakers and can buy the Polks that I like, I know it would
blow away your headphones :).