Ken, if you have the portable set to resume it should start just where
you left off.  The is one exception that I can think of.  One the units
I've owned, if the power supply is interrupted the unit will start from
the beginning.

Some units allow you to disconnect an external power supply and if you
have a charged battery in the unit, they will still keep the resume
setting.  On some disconnecting or connecting the external power supply
with interrupt it.

Larry