> I've noticed lately that in bass heavy recordings (or even when
> I'm just in
> the studio with the band and pounding away on the drums), my
> recordings are
> starting to get choppier and choppier by the session.

I pay attention to R50 stuff because I have one too.

>From what I've gathered here, strong vibrations kill it.  I remember someone
else saying they had theirs on top of an amp and then it started to weird
out on them.

I don't know to what extent your unit may be damaged, but it might be good
to put it on some pillows or something from now on when you record.  I also
remember reading in the manual that strong vibrations (like bass) may
potentially damage the unit.