On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 03:10:00PM -0400, Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> * Marc Britten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Sun, 17 Jun 2001
> | it probably can, but Firewire has all of the stuff in place. but then
> | again so do USB CD-R's
>
> USB CD-R/W is a SCSI hack.  That is, the driver and drive pretent to be
> SCSI devices.  USB was never intended to be used for this sort of thing.

so are IDE CD-r/w's haven't stopped them from taking over the market.

I didn't say it was a good think i'm just saying you might be able to do it.

> IEEE 1394 was designed from the ground up to be a cheap, fast bus for high
> speed data transfer, primarilly disk I/O, with the intention for multimedia
> applications like digital audio and video recorders.

like i said, firewire has all of the stuff in place to do stuff like that.

> USB 1.1's absolute maximum throughput of 11Mbps vs IEEE 1394's current
> 400Mbps.

thank you i know, i program USB communications for a living
(among other protocols)(no firewire)