"Churchill, Guy" wrote:

> When was the last time someone on this m-list purchased
> a Cassette walkman ?   Are they still very popular ?

More popular than I'd like.  I notice many minisystems and boomboxes
still have that archaic medium.

> They are still on the shelves but I don't know anyone
> who has bought one in the last 3 years.  Perhaps
> parents still buy them for their kids? <shrug>

Me neither.

[snip]
> Never looked at a tape walkman again.

I haven't looked at anything that plays cassettes again.
I have loaned out, sold, donated, and given away all my cassette
equipment.
MD HAS replaced cassette in all my audio systems.  I don't have cassette
in my car, I don't have it in my house, I don't have it at all. :)
However, I can play MD (and CD) everywhere I go.

However, what I feel is much more archaic than cassette is VHS.  I
absolutely can't stand VHS' size, bulk, and inconvenience.  Not to
mention the physical complexity which leads to reliability problems (I
think most people have experienced a VCR chewing up a tape at least
once).  After using DVD, it makes one wonder how VHS survived so long.
I wish DVD were a recordable+rewriteable media from the beginning
though, like MD is.  I don't know what DVD-R or DVD-RW is going to be
like since I can't afford it, but I feel as though it could end up being
a "hack" like CD-R/RW is.

Shawn