David Fincher wrote:

> I dropped by Target today and picked up the 700, as someone on this list
> had earlier promised it would be there.  They had the 500 advertised at
> $149 and the 700 at $199.  It rang up for $249, but the display said $199,
> so I challenged them to look at it and they corrected it.  What was even
> cooler is that you can get a Target card and take an additional 10% off of
> your purchase.  So if you want to buy one (or more) and get one of their
> cards, the cost comes out to $180 plus tax.

I really think I'm going to make the move if the Target in my area will sell it to
me for $199.00  It's actually about a 50 minute drive to the closest Target.  I'll
sell my Aiwa F80 and possibly my Denon R70 on eBay.

> Anyway, I have just a couple of questions about the unit for those of you
> who have one.
>
> 1.      It comes with the Sony Ni-Cad battery.  I have been using NiMh AA cells
> in my other Sony equipment (R-30 and EP-11), but not charging them within
> the units.  I'm curious if it would be okay to charge an NiMh within the
> 700.  My charger puts out 1.5V at 50-80 Ma, and is rated OK for Ni-cad or
> NiMh.  I don't want to take a risk, but I'd rather use the NiMh cells and
> save the Sony one in case I resell this later.

If the unit is actually designed to only charge NiCads, it will not charge NiMh
batteries properly.  Trust me, I've tried.  I have loads of NiCad chargers that I
accumulated over the years.  They just do not charge the NiMh batteries.

But does the instruction book mention anything about optional Sony NiMh batteries?
My Sony CD player with an optical output came with Sony NiMh batteries.  So I
wonder what type of charger is in the unit?

Radio Shack makes a one hour charge for NiMH batteries, but I think it is about
$30.  It will charge up to 4 at a time.  I usually get the Rayovacs.  Energizer now
makes them too, but they cost more and I think are actually rated at a slightly
lower milli amp than Rayovacs.

At first I could only get Radio Shack's.  They cost double Rayovac's price, but
still half of Sony.  I found one trick that Sony tried to pull with their NiMH
batteries.  They could be charged in the unit, but at first I couldn't get other
brands to charge.  It didn't make sense.

I studied the inside carefully and noticed that for charging Sony uses a separate
terminal that touches the side of the battery, near the bottom.  So I peeled off
the label from the bottom of my other brands and that was that.

The Radio Shack hour is nice though.  NiMH batteries seem to have a longer playing
time (I know that they last longer than Alkaline in my digital camera, although I
don't think the same case would be true for an MD recorder) than NiCads.  But they
do not hold a charge for very long if they are sitting in you player.

You kind of have to charge a bunch of them in advance and use them as soon as
possible after they are charged.  With the hour charger this isn't really a
problem.

Larry