My experience with AC adaptors for use with a Sharp MD is that it is
necessary to get the regulated type if you want to record to MD and/or
charge NiMH batteries. Unregulated types just dip too much on the variable
loads an MD poses, so choose one with a regulated 5V 700mA output (or
whatever your MD needs).

Not being able to find a low-cost regulated unit, I made one by fitting an
LM340T-5 regulator inside an unregulated 9V 700mA brick and changing the
power connector on the output lead. If you try this route, you need to make
sure you have a good thermal connection between the regulator and a heat
sink because it may have to dump several Watts. Also, the dc power connector
that Sharp use is not one of the common sizes.

Peter Rice