It just occurred to me, when people started talking about Target having MD
recorders, I wonder what would happen if Wal Mart suddenly started having a big
display for MD.  Even if they were only carrying say Sony portables.

If they had blanks and the units at a reasonable price, would it make a
difference?

What are people thinking of when they purchase a player that requires a
computer to obtain your songs and then can only store a limited number of songs
on a very expensive memory chip?

I could see if CD recorders (non computer-independent units that copy one CD to
a blank) were catching on.  But, at least in my area I hardly see any.  I spoke
to a sales person about 6 month ago that worked for "Sound City".  It's an New
Jersey (USA) based store).

He told me that audio CD "burners" were selling very well, but some how I just
can't see that.  But what has replaced the cassette?  I remember 15 years ago
seeing loads of component cassette decks (usually dual decks).  Every mini
system seemed to have dual cassette decks too.

I still see home made cassettes in "kid's" cars.  Is the cassette still
selling?  Is it still the choice among none discriminating listeners?  If
you're going to listen to "9 Inch Nails", perhaps you might like it even better
if the sound was even more distorted than the original CD :).

I know I'm about to get flamed big time for this, but I don't see the need for
great fidelity if you listen to country music either.  I still have these
images of big shit kickers in their trucks who still have an 8 track and are
listening to Loretta.  But country music is big these days.

I would say that "Rios" are for for non technical people.  But in order to
transfer the music to the Rio, you have to first have to have a computer and
know how to download files.  I consider myself moderately computer smart.  I
still have to "debug" my computer from time to time.  Just freezes up

But I see people all of the time that know very little about computers.  I
don't understand how they are even able to continue using their computers, let
alone download and transfer files from their computer to a Rio.

They probably use those God awful "Disaster Recovery Disks" that seem to be the
replacement these days for separate disks for Windows and the programs that
come with your computer.  I wonder if they realize every time they do that,
they lose every thing they have added.

Sorry, I just get so frustrated when I think about the MDs poor showing in the
US.

Larry