What I actually want is to record shows off the radio without having to
change media. Figured that if a videotape can hold 6 hours, then I could
get the show on without doing much more than turning the radio and
recording on with power timers.
iT takes forever to convert a huge wave file in to an mp3, last time I did
it, it took not much less than real time recording.
I suppose my disk just isn't fast enough.
At 01:45 PM 7/27/01 -0400, you wrote:

>There my be some pro decks still out there, but why would you want to do
it?  You
>would still only have analog recordings.  At best the PCM tape would sound
about as
>good as the original analog.
>
>High quality MP3 recordings would probably give you better quality sound,
if the
>original files were digitally recorded.  On a 700 MB CDR you could record
>approximately 200 to 250 songs (depending upon the length of each
song-obviously
>Patti Smith's Land/Horses is going to take more than 3 times the space of Del
>Shannon's "Run Away" :) ).
>
>If each song were an average of 3 MB you'd be able to get about 230 songs
on the
>disk.  And if each song averaged 3 minutes, that would be 11 and a half
hours of
>music.  OK, lets say my calculations were off and you could only get 10
hours on a
>CD (700 MB).  That would be 10 hours of compressed, BUT digital recordings
made from
>digital originals.
>
>You can purchase a CD Writer for as low as $100 (although I'd suggest
going a little
>higher and getting a faster unit-say $150.00).
>
>A portable CD/MP3 player can be purchased for about $99.  And you can even
get an
>Apex DVD player (their basic model with no digital or component video out)
which
>plays MP3s for $99.
>
>You can even get a car unit that plays MP3 CDs (although, I'd wait for the
price to
>drop).
>
>You can convert any music CDs you have to MP3 files on the fly and either
record
>them to HD and then to CD (I'd suggest taking this extra step) or even
directly to
>CD).
>
>Although Napster is in a coma, it hasn't seemed to have affected
Musiccity.com's