A good example of the kind of freedom left to developers is the fact that
the MP3 standard does not specify exactly how to treat the upper end of the
spectrum, above 16kHz. Since human auditory perception begins to diminish
greatly (with age and exposure to loud volumes) between 16kHz and 20kHz,
some developers have historically chosen to simply chop off frequencies
above 16kHz, which can be beneficial at low bitrates, since it leaves more
bits available for encoding more audible frequencies. Xing, for example, did
this with the first versions of their very fast codec. Later, they rewrote
their codec to handle frequencies up to 20kHz (probably at the behest of the
audiophile MP3 community).

^- http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3codec/implementation.htm

I'm pretty sure LAME stays as 16kHz until 192Kb/sec. Also, the Fraunhofer
codec(the STANDARD) is Joint Stereo up to 192Kb/sec. I can't find a link to
prove that, so anyone who has it can see it. Joint Stereo means there aren't
two separate channels, one combined. MiniDisc is always separate stereo in
SP mode. Additionally, I see multiple times on the minidisc.org site havign
experts say that ATRAC is CD quality. I can't seem to find anyone saying
that about MP3 except for people who hawk it. 128Kb/sec is standard for MP3.
212Kb/sec is standard for ATRAC. and hey - at least MD's track naming scheme
doesn't have two versions (ID3v1 and ID3v2)!

-Rob

--
PGP Mail would be preferred!
Encrypt all traffic if possible