las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Actually the argument about the merits of the MZ-R50 vs the Sharp
>model that was current at the time, was at times quite heated. There
>were thread after thread here from the two camps. Many people felt
>that the Sharp had superior sound (especially with regard to bass).

But that had nothing to do with the D/A converters in each unit. It had to
do with the EQ of the headphone jacks. Sony headphone jacks are EQ'd to have
a flatter response, while Sharp headphone jacks are EQ'd to be "warmer,"
which includes a bit more bass/upper-bass. But those EQ's are *only* in the
headphone jack -- when you listen via line-out, the EQ is not applied.

(And yes, I've tried this to verify it ;) Differences that are clear when
using headphone jacks become pretty much inaudible when using line-outs).

I actually usually prefer the EQ's of Sharp headphone jacks, by the way.

>As I stated before, to be fair, the MD should not be a copy of the CD
>but a high quality prerecorded MD.

Not necessarily -- since the common argument is whether or not a MiniDisc
copy of a CD is "indistinguishable" from the original, a good copy is
appropriate for that comparison.