Danny-K wrote:

> Hello-
>
>  I had to take out my usb card, and one pci slot is now wasted,
> but I don't have a complaint about that.  Don't need more than two usb ports
> right now anyway.

If you need more USB ports, you don't have to add a card.  Get a USB port.  I
know that they make them with at least 4 ports.  But you can piggyback them to
the maximum number of USB devices that are allowed.

The other advantage is that they come with an optional power supply.  If you are
using peripherals that use very little current, you may not need it, but it will
supply additional power when it is needed.

I've noticed that they are getting very tight with card slots.  A bought my wife
a new computer last Feb.  Not only does it have only 2 or 3 free PCI slots,
there are NO ISA slots (not even a dual purpose slot).  I couldn't install our
scanner because it uses an ISA SCSI card and a PCI compatible card costs about
$100.  For that money it made for sense to get a new scanner.

The old scanner was a decent quality UMAX, but the was technology keeps
advancing, a less expensive scanner today is probably at least as good.  Also,
the new scanner can scan transparencies, so I am hoping to copy x rays and
hoping that I may even be able to submit claims by computer.

LAS