Brent Harding wrote:

>          Do they still make anything that I could use an isa card with any more
> if
> my mother board ever goes? Any kind of adapters? I suppose, with two pci
> slots, all you have is the modem and sound, and everything else must be
> integrated, probably little chance of multitracking with multiple sound
> cards like that.
> At 04:17 AM 8/20/01 -0400, you wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, all of the new products are PCI (like I said, there
isn't even one "legacy" slot available in my new computer).

If you decided to upgrade an old computer, your really couldn't do it anymore.  Up
until a few years ago, they supplied plenty of both ISA and PCI slots.  So if you
had a decent sound and video card (even modem) you could upgrade by getting a new
mother board and CPU.

But now even your old memory wouldn't be usable. In their latest high HZ
processors, AMD uses a special memory that is faster than SDRAM.  I read a review
where an Athlon 1 or 1.1HZ beat out a P4 1.4HZ.

In spite of their flashy commercials, Intel may actually be manufacturing a
product is isn't even as good as AMDs, let alone better.  I realize Intel is huge,
but AMD is nibbling on their toes to the point where Intel may be starting to feel
the pain.

It's too bad that no one has been able to do to Microsoft what AMD is doing to
Intel.  I guess different processors can handle the same operating system, more
easily than an operating system can handle another operating system's programs.

Even Microsoft's Windows CE, which seemed to by dying on the vine compared to the
Palm OS has been given a new lease on life.  Now called Windows "Pocket PC", they
are starting to show in PDAs that are more like computers than Palms (206HZ
processors) 16 MB ROM, up to 64 MB internal memory.  Even beautify color screens
with thousands of colors.

Compaq's iPaq, can store color pictures and even function as an MP3 player.

LAS