"David W. Tamkin" wrote:

> They didn't need to think anything.  The vintage-1995 Sony portable that you
> were thinking of is the MZ-R3.  The model names are uncomfortably similar
> but they are not identical.

There goes my dyslexia!!

Sony has always used the MZ designation, while Sharp uses MD.  And for some
reason Sony's first portable was the MZ-1, no "R" in it.  Every standard
portable that Sony made after that has an "R" in it.  Sony's first portable
player was the 2P.  After that they started using an "E" to designate players.

The R makes sense.  But why an E?  Am I missing something obvious?  I would have
called them P (like an MZ-P2).
LAS