macdef wrote:

> I wonder if that's true. One thing's for sure -- if they are both
> manufactured by MPO, they're on different lines, because the Hi-Space discs
> are definitely built much better...

I'm sure that the ones that say, "made in France" are made by MPO.  I used to
hear bad things about Hi Space, so it is possible that Hi Space may have
improved their product or made the Memorex to cheaper specifications.

In spite of their "live or Memorex" commercials, they have always made inferior
products compared to TDK, Maxell, etc.  When you went into a Hi Fi "emporium" I
don't think you would usually find Memorex tapes there.

But I personally never had any problems with the French Memorex MDs that I
bought (even if their housing was made from a little thinner plastic).

You have to remember that at one point, even though there were dozens of brands
of MD blanks, there were actually much less companies doing the manufacturing.

If you've ever ordered Hi Space blanks that come with some type of carrying
case through the mail, you'd see just how crappy some of their stuff can be
(although I don't know who makes the cases for them).

Larry