I welcome newbie questions here, as I am still somewhat of a newbie
myself. (and we are all newbies at something right now) I went back to
read your question, to see if I could answer it.  Unfortunately, I don't
have that particular model so I don't have a specific answer for you,
other than mic level H and L is probably High and Low.  There should be
more details in the manual for your recorder.  If you don't have the
manual, it can probably be downloaded from http://www.minidisc.org

However, in general setting mic levels for live recording always has a
certain trickyness to it, due to the radical difference in live sound
levels from situation to situation.  I've just found that over time, and
with practice, I've gotten fairly good at judging sound levels.  I don't
know how to tell you how to practice it, other than to try to make a
note of how loud the source is, and then note where you set your levels.

A decibel (dB) meter (a device that measures sound level) might help you
draw a better correlation.  I got mine at Radio Shack.  When you are
recording, make a note of what sound level is indicated by the dB meter,
and note what level you're recording.  Do that for a bunch of
recordings.  You should be able to start to better understand what
recording levels will be needed for the diverse sound levels
encountered.

Hope this helps.
-steve