If the repair costs are higher than the cost of the unit, obviously
look for somewhere else to get it repaired, or get a new unit.  Your post
makes me wonder what has happened to the construction quality of the newer
Sonys.  I've had my R50 for years, and it has taken some extreme abuse.  The
most I've ever had to do is wipe a little bit of dirt off of it and before that
it was still playing :-)  The old ones were built solid!

-Jeff