> .....Didn't he use the T word as justification?  Oddly, with no airport
> in
> the area, use of the airspace would be much LESS restricted...
>
> And I won't even hazard a guess at the economic damage blowing the
> airport (with all the associated businesses) away did... Well maybe an
> order-of-magnitude... I'll go with 7.5 to 8 per year....

I guess T must mean traffic. The traffic pattern was over water so there
was no safety problem. And the close-in access to Chicago's financial and
business center was very important but of no concern to him.

And because the FAA had pumped a lot of Federal money into the facility,
they then have by Federal statute a controlling say in what goes on there. But
since Mr. Mayor is part of the Illinois political machine, the whole
business seems to have faded away.

RLE