Too early to tell but it seems that with the correct size tire on my 300TE, the tires are not wearing on the insides as much as they did with wrong size tires, which I think where 205/60. Which means they are wider and thus not really suitable unless the front end is aligned. Handling wise i would not know because I never take the car anywhere near it's limit. MB designed the suspension to be used with a certain size tire and I see no reason to think that they do not know what they are doing, when it comes to suspensions.

Hendrik
who finally got a chance to catch up on list mail

Max Dillon wrote:
I wonder how much of that difference was due to the size (195/65 vs. 205/60)? Seems intuitive that the 205/60 would have better grip dry than a 195/65, all else being equal, but I suspect that there can be wide variation from batch to batch of tires from the same maker. However, even though purchasing tires seems like taking a chance no matter how much research one does, I'll bet the quality across the board is far higher now that it was decades ago (similar to improvements in motor oils).

-Max