Now thats a nice setup!

Too bad the interior is so worn... I'd guess this car had 100,000+ km on it
before being imported and having a new mph speedo installed.

Typical car dealer with a dream price set.  This car is worth money, but not
that much money.

In a related story, I came across a '67 250SE sedan park at a gas station on
the way to my parent's house this weekend.   Initial inspection showed a
very clear chassis and body, no real rust, a 1984 inspection sticker, and
enough crud inside and out to suggest it had been sitting a very long time.
 Rear end slammed on the ground thanks to a collapsed hydro-compensator.  I
managed (after a struggle, long story short) to get the owner of the car and
station on the phone, when he proceeded to tell me how perfect and original
the car was and how its looking for "real money" for it when its done fixing
and detailing it.  I made plans to see it again and get the keys to see the
engine and interior.  I also explained to him (nicely) how his attempts to
"fix" the fuel injection and rest of the car are just causing more harm than
good and I have no interest in a hacked up car.  I want the car as-is, not
as a used-car-lot special.

So today I inspected it closer.  Interior all original mb-tex in good shape.
 Wood all there with no damage.  Sunroof.  LMKU Becker Grand Prix (!).
 Heater levers moved.  A bit of mold, but nothing alarming.  A small hole in
the head liner that suggested a mouse nest.  No manuals or documents.

Engine was a bit of a sad story of clown-mechanics.  Injection pump was
missing... the owner had some story of getting a "new"one from california
which wasn't right, and another from Germany which was very expensive.  If
he only knew who to send the original to for rebuilding!  Engine was
otherwise all there, washer bag still hanging, etc.  AC stuff all in place
and connected.

The (clown) mechanic on staff there explained to me how they replaced the
fuel pump and have pressure up to the injection pump now, but nothing to the
injectors.  He asked if I wanted the car, as if he had no real attachment or
interest in it.  I explained its real value and gave him my card... if the
owner will be realistic, I'll take it.  Book value is $3700-8000.

I've been looking for an early W108 with a sunroof for years now.  This one
would need loads of work, but will be a great car in the end.

Lets see what happens.

Jaime